Tuesday, April 28, 2009

John Steinbeck's Cannery Row

For this project we had to read John Steinbeck's Cannery Row. We had to develop and design the interior shot of Doc's Lab as well as Lee Chong's Grocery store. I had a lot of fun working on this project. TONS of work but I found it pretty interesting. Before getting into the project my friend and I went down to Cannery Row to gather up reference photos. I thought it was really interesting that the places that Steinbeck mentioned in the book was actually real. Not only that, all characters were based off of real people too. Doc was based off of Ed Ricketts and Lee Chong off of Won Yee.

The best part of the research was visiting the sites that still exist today. I got to visit Doc's Lab also known as Ed Ricketts Lab in real life. I also got a tour of both floors of Lee Chongs, which not that many people get to do. It was such an amazing experience to be in these places that had so much history behind it. I go to Monterey almost every year and I never knew about these places. It makes me wonder whats in my home town that everyone just seems to overlook.

These are the interiors that I've designed for the book. I tried to balance what I saw in each place with what I thought of when I read the book. I also designed Lee Chongs Truck just for fun.







No comments: